The mpls downtown council held another great annual meeting on Wednesday highlighting a great year in downtown Minneapolis. This year’s meeting was held at The Armory, which left attendees awe-struck at its size and production capabilities.
The event featured 1,350 registered guests and was emceed by Amelia Santaniello of WCCO-TV. Mike Augustyniak of WCCO-TV provided in-audience interviews throughout the day highlighting the value of the mpls downtown council from different individuals. Mayor Jacob Frey provided remarks on the strengths of downtown Minneapolis and how we can work together to make it an even more competitive city nationally and internationally, and immediate past board chair Phil Trier of U.S. Bank received the Father of Waters award.
Other speakers during the program included Kirsten Sprek (Thrivent Financial), Chris Behrens (YA), Joe Ravens (Wells Fargo), Siya Abdullahi (The Language Banc), John Marshall (Xcel Energy), Erin Sexton (Mayo Clinic), Nick Pechman (JB Hudson) and Leah Wong (mdc).
Entertainment featured an AirVuz drone entrance during the introduction with a live feed video, MIXTAPE of The Cowles Center performing their dance routine and more.
Every year, the downtown council compiles data to announce at the annual meeting, here are the highlights:
2018 by the numbers
top 15 downtown employers:
1. Target (8,300 employees)
2. Hennepin Healthcare (7,106)
3. Wells Fargo (7,000)
4. Hennepin County (6,459)
5. Ameriprise (5,065)
6. U.S. Bank (4,608)
7. Xcel Energy (2,458)
8. City of Minneapolis (2,076)
9. RBC Wealth Management (1,508)
10. Thrivent (1,326)
11. Strategic Eductation, Inc. (1,213)
12. Federal Reserve Bank (1,135)
13. Deloitte (978)
14. Star Tribune (942)
15. ABM (920)
- Current downtown population: 49,781
- Downtown welcomed 6,325 new residents last year, a 14.5% increase.
- Since 2006, downtown has gained 17,877 residents, a 56.0% increase.
- There are currently 205,653 downtown employees, including 177,053 in the city’s downtown core.
- There are currently 6,025 businesses in downtown Minneapolis.
- Downtown absorbed 457,295 square feet of Class A office space.
- Downtown Minneapolis accounts for 36.8% of all Twin Cities office space.
- Minneapolis topped $1 billion in new construction permits for the 7th straight year. Of the $1.8 billion in permits, $910 million were from downtown Wards 3 and 7 alone.
- Downtown currently has 2,321 apartment rentals under construction.
- The Minneapolis Convention Center hosed 337 events last year welcoming 839,794 attendees.
- Hennepin Theatre Trust’s Orpheum Theatre ranked 13th on the worldwide Pollstar tickets sold list. Hamilton attracted 120,000 attendees.
- The Super Bowl attracted 1,055,000 attendees at Super Bowl LIVE on Nicollet.
- The Mpls Downtown Improvement District picked up 30,094 bags of trash, removed 16,156 gum spots and 5,593 graffiti marks, and helped with 90,468 hospitality assists last year.
- The mpls downtown council has 450 membership organizations.
Please direct any questions regarding downtown statistics to Mark Remme at firstname.lastname@example.org