The mpls downtown council hosted its 62nd annual meeting on Monday, February 12 at the Hilton Minneapolis in front of a record crowd. More than 1,300 people registered for the event, which featured a comprehensive year in review. The annual meeting was emceed by WCCO-TV’s Amelia Santaniello, and our in-audience reporter was WCCO-TV’s Mike Augustyniak. New Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey addressed the crowd, and as part of a Super Bowl spotlight section there was a Q&A with MN Super Bowl Host Committee Chair Richard Davis and MN Super Bowl Host Committee CEO Maureen Bausch.
The meeting included:
- A full, comprehensive year in review. Here is a 2017 by the numbers overview from our year in review.
- Announcing the current downtown residential population: 43,456 (the largest year-over-year increase in more than a decade)
- Announcing the top 15 downtown employers:
- 1. Target – 8,333 employees
- 2. HCMC – 7,105
- 3. Wells Fargo – 7,000
- 4. Hennepin County – 6,595
- 5. Ameriprise Financial – 4,893
- 6. U.S. Bank – 4,651
- 7. Xcel Energy – 2,351
- 8. City of Minneapolis – 2,060
- 9. RBC Wealth Management – 1,475
- 10. Thrivent Financial – 1,352
- 11. Capella Education – 1,096
- 12. Star Tribune – 1,096
- 13. SPS Commerce – 1,002
- 14. Federal Reserve Bank – 970
- 15. ABM – 910
- Former Mpls City Council President Barb Johnson received the Father of Waters Award
- A special performance by Minneapolis’ Franklin Middle School students and their hit, “Coats, Hats & Gloves.”
- A video featuring the new Nicollet showcased the the activities, programming and features now prominent on Nicollet
Gardner Builders is making a $20,000 donation to charity on behalf of their presenting sponsorship at the mpls downtown council annual meeting. Click here to vote, and the funds will be allocated according to the percentage of votes received.
Take a look at the photos from the event courtesy of Dusty Hoskovec Photography.
Thank you to GdB Pitch for your work on the Nicollet video debuted at our annual meeting. To link directly to the video or to embed it, click here.